9/21/2008

How you can tell if you truly committed to changing your life

I've been thinking quite a bit about the Will Smith video clip I shared on my last post. Particularly the section where he states that "there is a redemptive power that making a choice has." He goes on to urge us to "just decide!"
"Decide what its going to be, who you are going to be and how you are going to do it."

As we near the end of the year and begin to think about the resolutions we'll have for ourselves, we need develop a clear understanding of what it means to truly create change in our lives.

I'm sure you've made decisions to change a part of your life in the past. If the change was a temporary, chances are that your decision was not based on the fact that you were making up your mind to create change. Your decision for a new life probably had small print down at the bottom which allowed for backsliding into your old ways at the first sign of discomfort.

Truth be told, if you really want to experience the change you say you want, then you should leave no other option available other than that which further progresses your change.

For instance, I worked with a young lady at my previous place of employment who maintained an extremely healthy lifestyle. Jogging was part of her everyday routine and she consistently ate healthy meals. She was the epitome of discipline with regards to her health and wellness. The day before I left the company, I had a final conversation with another coworker about giving up his smoking habit. His response was heavy with hesitation as he honestly let me know that he was not sure he could completely give up smoking. He then talked about the day that Jillian gave up smoking. I was extremely shocked and puzzled by his revelation. Jillian only ate organic nutritious meals. Jillian was a daily jogger. How could Jillian have been a smoker?

My co-worker went on to tell me that a few years back, Jillian was a chain smoker who was extremely overweight. My mouth dropped in amazement even to think about. I asked him how she became so disciplined to lose all of that weight and to become so healthy. "On New Years Eve she had one last cigarette with us," She told us that she was going to stop smoking and that she would lose all of her weight. "From that day on," he told me, "she never picked up another cigarette and she makes sure to jog every single day." He even told me of a time when he was enjoying a delicious box of cookies. The cookies were so good that he felt the need to share one with Jillian. She declined the offer. He then proceeded to coax her into having just one cookie by stressing how fantastic they were. Jillian remained steadfast in her decision not to have a cookie. He persisted. Jillian remained strong. At the end of the exchange, Jillian did not have a cookie thereby further reinforcing the decision she made years before.

Is Jillian some sort of super-hero with a level of discipline not found in the common man? Not at all. The fact that she smoked heavily and was overweight proves that she once suffered from a lack of discipline just like the rest of us. What separates Jillian from my other co-worker is the fact that Jillian made a real decision to experience change. Her decision was so firm and absolute that she was able to maintain her commitment to herself even years later.

My next post will detail the attributes of one who really wants to experience a true change versus one who thinks that she wants to change an aspect of her life.
Stay tuned.

No comments: