What about you?

My last post focused on creating your personal brand. This weekend I had the opportunity to possibly volunteer at a large professional organization meeting taking place locally. For some strange reason, the volunteer coordinator did not have record of my volunteer request. Rather than get upset and get bummed out about the misunderstanding, I decided to go back out to the exhibit halls among all of the attendees. I grabbed a seat and began observing the passers-by.

My first observation was that practically everyone looked the same. Each person looked pristine in their power black suit. But, each suit had less and less power with every individual who wore one. I'm sure that everyone of these intelligent individuals had well prepared mini-speeched detailing their accomplishments. Perhaps these accomplishments were a little embellished but with good reason in order to make the most lasting impression possible. I wonder how many of them will truly leave a unique mark with the people they come in contact with this weekend?

I have a theory. It may not necessarily be true, but it is worth sharing. I believe that many of the attendees are following a path that was carved out for them years ago. Perhaps carved out by their family expectations. Most likely carved out by society's definition and expectation of success. I do not believe that all of them would say that they have a passion for climbing the corporate ladder. If they did, I am not sure they could adequately verbalize the reason why. I myself did not have a reason to that question when I had the important talk with myself months ago.

So what's my point? I am not sure I have one. This blog is not meant to answer all the questions. It is to get you to think. Ask yourself "why am I doing _______?" If the answer does not make you feel all warm and gooey inside then there is most likely no passion behind it. I am not saying you should quit your job tomorrow, or ever. Instead, find out what does make you feel whole. What are you drawn to do? Answer that question and implement more of that into your life starting today. Do not be concerned about how much time you have to dedicate to what you love. This should be done for you. Besides, wouldn't it feel good to know that you are so much more than your career?

Comments

Popular Posts