More shall be given

One of my favorite scriptures in the Bible comes from Matthew 13:12. In the verse Jesus says, "For whoever has, to him more shall be given, and he will have an abundance; but whoever does not have, even what he has shall be taken away from him."
I've gone over that verse in my head time and time again not fully grasping the meaning of it. Why would more be given to those who had? How could you take away from someone who does not have anything?

I must have read that verse dozens of times before I received a profound realization of truth in the message. The epiphany came when I understood that the person who "does not have" actually does have. Otherwise, how could what he has be taken away from him? So how does the same person "not have" and "have" at the same time?

In my opinion, this person has but does not realize it. This person lives his/her life as though he does not have. This person complains about not having anything. This person constantly fixates on what others have thereby minimizing his own abundance. This person focuses so intently on lack that he only receives scarcity in his life. He is attracting more of what he is focused on.

The other person has. That person knows he has. That person is grateful for what he has. The first person may not have "had" in abundance, in fact, he may have had the same amount as the second person. Notice how Jesus says that "more will be given and he will have an abundance. That lead me to believe that he may not had abundance before. His thankful heart and gratitude allowed him to realize what he had before he was given more.

I always reflect this verse whenever I have a thought that says, if only I had ...
then I could...
When thoughts like this run through my mind, I stop myself dead in my tracks and ask "what do I have right now that I can use to meet this need?"
If I ask this question, I always find an answer. Correction, when I ask this question, I am always given an answer. The more I focus on what I have right at this very moment, the more abundance I receive in my life.

When the "if only I had" thoughts sneak into your mind, you need take hold of it. Answer those negative perceptions by focusing on the resources that you already have, no matter what they are. If you are constantly focusing on what you now have and being grateful for them, more shall be given and you will be given in abundance.

Comments

Popular Posts